FantasyLitKnits


Thursday, February 14, 2008
Soooo...I picked up the patons SWS in Natural Blue. 7 skeins and I'm in love with it. here are the results for the poll BTW.


Clapotis
(5)
Fuzzy feet
(2)
fake isle hat
(2)
my so called scarf
(8)
calorimetry
fetching
(4)
pidge
(1)
butterfly hat
(5)
27 votes in total

Despite the My So Called victory, I actually decided to go with the Clapotis. Thanks to everyone who voted! Don't worry I know I'll eventually make that scarf. The stitch pattern is so unique I have to at least try it! Maybe I'll have some left over from the Clapotis. Not likely but I've seen some who only used 5 skeins with this yarn and I'm using size 10s. We shall see.

Jeanie is still going well, I'm lovin it. I cast on for the Clapotis last night and I'm dying to cast on some socks too. I thought I was a one-project-til-it's-done kind of knitter. But apparently not :)

So here's my main reason for this post: venting. And a bit of tooting my own horn.

I started a thread on Ravelry a while back and got an odd response. I'm a bit proud of my response so I'm posting the conversation here ;P

My original post:I’m getting a tattoo on my back. It’s a christian fish or “Ichthys” with the acronym IXOYE in the middle and the actual words written around it. my problem is I want to make sure it’s accurate and translated correctly. Any ideas on where I should look?

KittenLion:I’m just curious and don’t mean disrespect but why a tattoo ?

Note: this is a thread in a group called Tattooed Knitters & Crocheters

Me:I’m not exactly sure what you mean. Are you curious as to why I would want that as a tattoo or why I would want a tattoo at all?

KittenLion:why a tattoo of a christian symbol because in the bible it says that one shall not tattoo oneself, I am tattood and was catholic, It always makes me giggle to see people tattoo christian symbols on bodies

Me:It actually says not to mark oneself in pagan ritual. It was talking about practices during funerals where they would cut themselves and make the markings of idols. There are no New Testament scriptures talking about tattoo directly. The only thing it says is not to defile your body because it is the temple of Christ. To me the word defile is talking about things such as sexual immorality and things of that nature. Things that harm your body. And I certainly don’t want to get into a debate over what’s immoral or not. That’s my whole point with this post. I don’t believe tattoos defile your body as long as they aren’t satanic or pagan in nature. If I thought it was wrong to tattoo at all then I wouldn’t have my ears pierced because it falls under the same premise. That comment was pretty condescending. I take the bible and my beliefs extremely seriously. To make the comment “it always makes me giggle to see people tattoo christian symbols on bodies” was extremely rude. Just because you don’t agree with my beliefs doesn’t mean it’s okay for you to comment on a thread I posted solely for translation help and attack my devotion to my God. I say this because in making your comment you suggested that I was either ignorant of what the Bible says or did not take it seriously enough to care. Ravelry and this group are not about debating beliefs and making others feel attacked. It’s about having a common ground in knitting and being able to share our tattoos and ideas w/o being told it’s silly or stupid. There have been plenty of tattoos on here that I certainly didn’t agree with but I respect the person enough to not attack they’re choice or personal life. If you didn’t mean the comment to be condescending then you need to be much more careful about the way you present a question or comment like that.


I realize that A LOT of my friends and others who read my blog won't agree w/ my actual beliefs but it's the principle of the matter. I mean really.

Posted by Elyse at 1:15 PM |

0 Comments: